O'Charley's Irish Beef Stew
Posted by GayleL at anonymous 11:31:31pm 4/29/03
6 pounds beef tips
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
4 ounces beef gravy base
6 cups hot water
2 bottles Guinness Stout
1/4 cup minced garlic
2 pounds baby carrots
3 pounds potatoes (diced 1/2 x 1/2 inch)
1 pound celery (diced 1/2 x 1/2 inch)
2 pounds yellow onion (diced 1/2 x 1/2 inch)
2 cups seasoned flour
1 gallon hot water
8 ounces au jus (dry)
1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme, stems removed
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1. Gather first 7 ingredients.
2. Place 1/4 cup vegetable oil into hot iron skillet over high heat. Add 3 pounds beef tips, season with half of seasoning salt and sear all sides.
3. When beef tips are brown on all sides, remove from skillet and place into large shallow baking pan.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with 1/4 cup vegetable oil, remaining seasoning salt and beef tips.
5. Using a wire whip, mix 4 teaspoon gravy base with 6 cups hot water.
6. Add liquid to baking pan with 2 bottles of Guinness Stout and 1/4 cup minced garlic.
7. Cover pan with double layer of foil and seal tightly around edge of pan.
8. Place pan in preheated convection oven for 90 minutes at 300 degrees F.
9. Remove pan from oven and retain for later use.
10. Place oil into heated kettle. Add baby carrots, diced potatoes and saut? for 3 minutes.
11. Add celery and onion and saut? until onions are translucent.
12. Add flour and mix well.
13. Mix water with Au jus mix and add to kettle. Stir well until sauce thickens.
14. Add contents of roasting pan (step 9) to the kettle and mix well.
15. Add fresh chopped thyme and sugar, mix well and remove from heat.
16. Serve beef stew in a bowl with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.